In 2017-2018, the Racial Justice Action Team will be focused on meeting goals set by its subgroups in providing access to educational events to the Fellowship community, finding opportunities to engage in action with our geographic communities, and auditing our Fellowship’s words and actions through a lens of racial justice and intersectionality.
Coming to the Fellowship in January 2018
Beloved Conversations is a curriculum created by the Dr. Mark Hicks of the Fahs Collaborative of the Meadville Theological School (Unitarian Universalist). This program was designed for Unitarian Universalist congregations to enable them to have deep and impactful conversations about race and ethnicity. Participants in Beloved Conversations will:
* Deepen our awareness of the brokenness of racism
* Explore blockages that slow our social & spiritual journey toward wholeness
* Develop anti-racist skills & habits
Dates and Times for the Curriculum
An opening retreat with Reverend Ashley Horan, trained Fahs Collaborative staff person, Friday evening, January 5th, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. AND Saturday, January 6th, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Seven Thursday classes, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
* January 11 – The Footprint of Racial & Ethnic History in our Community
* January 25 – Exploring the Dynamic of Racism & Privilege
* February 8– Racism Today: Micro-Aggressions
* February 22 – Interrupting Racism
* March 8 – Community Audit: The Experience of Race & Ethnicity in our Community
* March 22 – The Legacy of Racism
* April 5 – Toward a New Identity: How can We Be-in-the-World?
Closing retreat: Collecting our Wisdom: A Celebration of Learning and Commitment Saturday, April 7, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What else should I know?
A: Your commitment is essential. Trust among participants comes with each person’s consistent presence. You need to be able to attend all, or almost all sessions.
A: Everyone is included. The class is limited to approximately 25 participants, but if more sign up, we’ll explore hosting a second one at the same time, or at a later date.
A: Registration is $25.00 per person. Waivers may be granted. Contact Rev. Christina Leone-Tracy at email@example.com.
A: Sign up by December 15, 2017. Send an email to Cyndi Polakowski at firstname.lastname@example.org